12 September 2009

Configuring Pidgin to connect to Google Talk for my domain.

Being Linux user I have been using Pidgin for Google Talk on my gmail account. After becoming the Administrator of my domain and putting up Google Talk Badge on public Google sites I was using the service through gmail account @my_domain.

Today I discovered how to set up Pidgin for my domain and there is no need to login to gmail account @my_domain to chat with the visitors to the sites.

This is how I did it:
Basic Tab
Username: admin (this is my username@my_domain)
Domain: my_domain.com
Local alias: Web Administrator

 Advanced Tab
Connect server: talk.google.com
Now whenever, the visitor at my domain site clicks on "Chat with Web Administrator" badge I get a message on Pidgin "Accept chat invitation?" and after clicking on Accept the Conversation window opens.

If the visitor to this site clicks on "Chat with Kamalakar Agashe" badge on right side bar I get same message on Pidgin but when I see my userid in the conversation window I understand that this is a visitor to my blog and not the site @my_domain

No comments:

Post a Comment