09 August 2009

First Post on a new Blog.

I am blogger since July 2005 starting with My Tryst with Linux I am starting this new blog since the experience with Google Applications does not relate to Linux except Google Applications are also free to use and may be open source to some extent.

I learned about gmail in 2005 and managed an invitation when all users were given 100 invitations in Sep 2005. I learnt about Google Docs soon after its launch in Oct 2006 and loved the convenience of creating/uploading the Docs online. I have been using it for online Doc storage and sharing.

In last 3 years gmail has grown immensely and almost everyone is having a gmail account therefore when you talk about Google Applications for the organisations no training is required for using the mail account.

Till last month I did not know that for small groups of people using Google Applications is free if you have registered a domain. In fact I learnt about it when I saw an email address user@archlinux.us and the user told me that he got it free. Suddenly I was interested since this was like Ubuntu for Human Beings free with all meanings of the word 'free'.

I digged a little more on Google and found that you can buy the domain through Google which is registered at Godaddy or eNom If you go through Google then your account at the Domain Registrar is configured automatically to use Google Applications and if you register it you have to configure it yourself but lot of help is available.

Meanwhile my son-in-law launched a private limited company in July 2009 and was looking for low cost email and document sharing solution. He was thrilled to know that he could use gmail @his_domain

His business associate registered the domain of their choice on GoDaddy and signed up for Google Applications and I made the gmail available for 5 people in his company in less than one hour, thanks to GoDaddy.

3 comments:

  1. Nice oppening article Kamalakar. I use Google Apps(free) for the mail service on Tuxopia.net Since I had to interface the server with Google Apps, it was a bit difficult to do the offline work but a tutorial for postfix was available and I managed with it. I do not use any other fetures of apps very much, since I do not require them at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sam. I have lined up a couple of posts and they will automatically appear on regular interval. Thanks to "scheduled post" feature on Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even /me uses the free Google apps for the mail (and sometimes the other apps too) services for my personal webspace. What's more, even the webspace and domain name are FREE (as in $0.00), courtesy byethost and co.cc respectively! :-D

    http://blog.sayanriju.co.cc

    ReplyDelete