21 August 2009

Using Gantt Chart Template.

Yesterday I received an enquiry about how Google Spreadsheets could be used to prepare Gantt Chart for a project.

I searched for 'gantt' on Google Docs Templates Gallery and found 3 templates. I decided to use the simplest one:


On clicking 'Use this template' a copy was saved on my Google Docs and it opened before me. There were 15 activities on the Template which I modified for my project. Since there were more than 15 I inserted more rows and put all the activities. I maintained the format of the template and used 2.00, 3.00 etc. in WBS column for main activities and 2.11, 2.12 for sub-activities of 2.0 and so on.

After finishing with activity sheet I clicked on the second sheet to see the Gantt Chart. The chart was having 15 activities only whereas I had 26 on the activity sheet. Then I clicked on 'Edit Settings' tab on the chart and changed the range to 'A1:G27' and applied. The Gantt chart started showing all 26 activities.

1 comment:

  1. Gantt chart templates are used by project managers and have many advantages especially when it comes to project planning and managing the tasks. It is applicable to any type of assignment, big or small, and it can be easily shared with the management team, employees as well as the clients. Thanks a lot.

    Excel Gantt Chart Template

    ReplyDelete